Monday, June 21, 2010

Churches, Schools and Kidney Stones - Kigali, Rwanda

What a mission this has been! From Kenya to Burundi, north across the equator and then a southern crossing...several thousand kilometers. God is using howFar to build His church from the Maasia Mara to the mountains of Rwanda.

Three weeks with a high school friend, Jim Kelly and his daughter Elizabeth, has made my time here in East Africa fresh and new because we have taken the time to see things that I have never seen before.


The first half of our mission was exhilarating in every way. Then day 2 in Burundi...where it seemed as though God was allowing me to be "sifted like wheat". I awoke in the middle of the night with the all to familiar symptoms of an oncoming kidney stone. With the closest hospital 200 mile away in Bujumbura what was I to do. Pray. By the grace of God there was a small "clinic" in Murumvya where I received some midnight pain pills and then a rush back to Kigali, Rwanda in the morning...to a real hospital.

Three days in the hospital - there is just something wrong with having to sleep under a mosquito net in a hospital - and I was released...still carrying the stone.

I'll not be able to visit DR Congo and the people in Northern Uganda "who wears naked" as my friend Pastor Augustin says. But I know that my driver and friend, Maurice Amadi, is correct when he says, "God had a different plan".

Watch for the full story upon my return to the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment